Sunday, March 24, 2013

Loaded Meatloaf

We'll say this, I LOATHE meatloaf. But more than that I LOATHE onions. And seeing as my mother thought onions belonged in such food, along with tomato sauce which I've sense come to like, I vowed to never make it for my kids...well why would I if I'm not gonna eat it myself?

Well being the pinterest freak that I am and since Josh and I are half assing a paleo diet I went through the beloved Pinterest for recipes. I found this recipe over here http://fedandfit.com/2013/02/07/paleo-meatloaf/
and it inspired me to create my own similar veggie filled meatloaf with veggies my children and I would actually enjoy.  And I tell you what, the pickiest of my eaters ate it, ate his ENTIRE serving with absolutely no complaints whatsoever and told me about 15 times how much he liked it. If I accomplish anything in my life getting him to eat is at the top of my list.

Anyhow, here's said recipe that I created:

1lb ground hamburger
1whole shredded carrot
1 whole shredded zucchini
1/2 cup of bread crumbs
2 eggs
and some Mrs. Dash (season as you'd like)

sauce:
1 can of tomato paste
1 small can of tomato sauce
1/8 tsp of parsley
tbsp of Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp of minced garlic
and pepper to taste.
oh and if you'd like to add a kick to it, I added some red pepper flakes I may add Tabasco sauce the next time.


Preheat oven to 350.

Mix all loaf ingredients in a small bowl with your hands and then put into a loaf pan (I sprayed cooking spray on the sides)

Heat in oven for 45 minutes and drain when finished. I just held a spatula over it so it wouldn't fall out of the pan.

Raise oven temp to 450. Smother sauce mixture all over the top and down around the sides of your loaf, it will be a thick layer. Put loaf back in the oven for another 10 minutes. If you want it to be more like a crust leave in the oven for another 5-10 minutes.

Let cool and enjoy.

Like I said, my kids loved it, I loved it. And considering there's pretty much a serving of veggies in every slice I'll be making it more often.









No comments:

Post a Comment