Thursday, October 24, 2013

Steak Fried Rice

If you don't know, I'm Irish, very very Irish. Pale skin, freckles, a little red in my hair, IRISH!! But I hate Irish food, unless it's potatoes, omg I love potatoes, Fried potatoes, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, potato boats...getting a little Forrest Gump-ish on yall huh? Anyhow, I don't like Irish food, but I do love Mexican and Asian. I'm not huge on veggies but I will eat it if included in one of these dishes. Unfortunately where we live there isn't a single Mexican or Asian restaurant for 50 miles. It's wonderful...not. So I have to make my own food all the time. But there's only a handful of Asian dishes I can get most of the family to indulge in, and those dishes only include rice or noodles (duh...). So I had this veggie medley and a flank steak...and some rice! so voila, Steak fried rice!

Oh you want the recipe now do ya?! ok....

Here its:

1 flank or skirt steak (i don't know what the ozs were but it was about $14 so decent sized)
marinate (for a few hours) in 2tbs balsamic vinegar, 1tbs soy sauce, 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, 1 minced garlic clove (real garlic is so much better than the jar stuff fyi) 
I cooked my steak out on the grill this time but I have done it in my cast iron skillet before too and it was perfect.

Fried rice:
Boil 2 cups of brown rice according to directions and let cool or use cold leftover rice
Heat 1/4 cup of coconut oil in a large skillet (cocnut oil has a low melting point, make sure you watch it so you don't burn it)
saute frozen veggies
add rice, 1tbsp soy sauce, and 1/2 tbsp sesame oil. 


Let that all get nice and toasty and cut your steak into strips as thin or thick as you'd like.

Scoot rice to one side of the skillet and add 1-2 eggs to the other half. Scramble.

Once eggs are cooked stir the rice and eggs together and add your steak.

And BAM! steak fried rice. So yummy. I fed myself and all 4 kids and still filled a ziplock baggie up to shove in the freezer for another time.

Now, I may not have made it REAL Asian, so don't blame me if I'm way off, I like my American Asian food so you should too :) Enjoy and please let me know if you make it, I'd love some feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment